WBCO's Annual General Meeting
April 30, 2021
On behalf of the West Broadway Community Organization (WBCO) Board of Directors, I am pleased to invite you to attend our 2021 Annual General Meeting on Thursday, June 10 at 6pm.
Due to COVID-19, we will be hosting this meeting by video conference. If you live, work, or volunteer in West Broadway and would like to attend, please email Executive Director, Greg MacPherson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Greg will send you a link and instructions.
WBCO is a not-for-profit, charitable organization working to coordinate and support social, economic, and environmental development efforts in Winnipeg’s West Broadway neighbourhood. WBCO functions as both a residents’ association and a Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation, working with neighbours, community-based organizations, businesses, government, and other stakeholders to achieve community goals prioritized through regular, intensive consultation and planning efforts.
WBCO understands the online format of this meeting presents a number of barriers and technical limitations: not everyone has access to the internet, or computers; some of us have poor internet connections, sound quality can be problematic, etc. As such, we are taking the following steps:
- This meeting’s agenda will focus only on essential business
- WBCO will host an in-person General Meeting as soon as social distancing rules are lifted. This second meeting will provide a more reasonable opportunity to get together with neighbours for a celebration of our community and an in-depth review of WBCO’s efforts over the past year
- Minutes will be taken at this meeting and they will be posted on the WBCO website by the end of the day on June 11, 2021. You can request to have a copy of the minutes mailed to you if you do not have access to email or the internet.
The agenda for this ‘virtual’ AGM will include:
1. Receiving a report from the Board of Directors and from Staff;
2. Reviewing the 2020 Audited Financial Statements and Treasurer’s report;
3. Appointing an accountant for the following year; and
4. Electing two members to the Board of Directors.
We invite community members interested in serving on the Board to put their names forward. WBCO is committed to accurately representing the diverse perspectives of our community, as such we strongly encourage newcomers, youth over 18, seniors, Indigenous residents, people of colour, tenants, and 2SLGBTQ+ residents to join.
The nomination process is governed by WBCO’s bylaws, a complete copy of which is available by emailing email@example.com. Please note our bylaws do not allow for nominations from the floor, therefore there is no provision to nominate Board Members at the AGM. A person must live, work, or volunteer in the West Broadway neighbourhood to be eligible to nominate, or be nominated to the Board of Directors. (Self-nominations are welcome!) Board Members are committed to advancing WBCO’s goals and policies, participating in monthly board meetings and on at least one standing committee, and representing WBCO at community events.
The nominating committee requests that potential Board candidates write a short email indicating why you are interested in serving on the Board, and outlining your skills and experience. As per our bylaws, in order to be accepted, nominations must be received no later than Friday, May 21 2021.
We hope to see you there.
Stacey Watson Secretary
WBCO Board of Directors